If you’ve been involved in affiliate marketing for any given amount of time, I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “The money is in the list”. There has never been a time where this holds more true than today. I’d like to discuss how to build an email list for affiliate marketing. First things first though so let us start with 2 things: My terrible failure and biggest marketing mistake and the why of list building for affiliate marketing.
My Biggest Mistake as an Affiliate Marketer
Now keep in mind this was 2005, and I was a brand new to affiliate marketing and literally teaching myself. I had never built a website much less knew how to broadcast thousands of effectively copywritten emails. I was a lone, ignorant wolf that just had a desire to make money online. A few of my friends were making up to $40,000 dollars a month in Google Adsense revenue alone (yes, it was a different time). So when I figured out how to build websites, that is literally all I did.
My first few years as an affiliate marketer, I published over 100 websites. That’s right, over 100 websites! All these websites were on various niches. These niches ranged from liposuction to SEO. They were ugly websites, but were all formated with strategically placed Adsense ads and Clickbank links all throughout. They converted really well too! I made thousands off of just pumping out websites full of affiliate links.
Unfortunately, every single sale was a “one and done”. Meaning most of these would never create repeat buyers and most visitors only had a single opportunity to buy what I was promoting. See where I am going with this? Thousands and thousands of visitors, and not a single email opt-in! Looking back, I missed out on the brunt of money (possibly 95%) I could have been making. This was money left on the table…. thousands of dollars!
Why Build an Email List for Affiliate Marketing?
Look at it this way. Just as an example… If you had 100,000 subscribers, and you wanted to promote a great product worth about $50 and you used your email list to broadcast this product to all 100,000 people. Now let us just say only 1% of those people actually bought your product. That would be 1000 (people) times $50 which would pay out a literal $50,000 off a single email! Ridiculous money can be made off an email list and if you aren’t using one, then you are doing yourself dirty by not.
How to Start Building Your Email List in 2021
- First you should have some form of autoresponder service like Aweber or GetResponse, which are the two I’d highly recommend. Personally I use Aweber because they are fairly lax on the rules and provide a great service.
- Implement various ways to allow your visitors to subscribe to your email via building forms and placing them in your site. This can be imbedded in your website, or placed in a pop-up ad. It is also good to provide incentive to your visitors by offering a free item of great value.
- Drive traffic to your site in order to allow people to subscribe to your content. This can be via organically such as social media posts, blog posts, videos, etc. Or you can use advertising clients like Facebook, Instagram or YouTube as a paid advertising platform. The second is obviously usually the fastest way to build your list.
Next Plan for Email Marketing
- Never send any of your traffic to your affiliate site without capturing their email first. If you don’t, the site you send your traffic to will. Anyhow, you want to be of service to your visitors and provide advice, right? You are serving your visitors and injustice if you don’t.
- Set up an email campaign. Pre-write as many emails as you can and have them set to be sent out daily if not more. You want to give yourself some cushion and this can give you some free time on the back end. With services like Aweber, you can have these automatically sent out in intervals. Set it and forget it!
- Broadcast your emails to your email list daily. You must keep your visitors engaged and you don’t want them to forget about you. Your subscribers probably get a lot of emails and you most definitely want to be seen. Stay in their forefront.
- Don’t sound like a sales person. These are your subscribers and they have trust in you (hopefully). Don’t let them down by not providing them with good solid information. Write to them like you know each other. Be vulnerable and allow your subscribers to get to know you. They will read your honest intentions.
Traffic You Own
The beauty of email marketing is that it is a type of traffic you have significant control over. For example, you don’t have to rely on search engines in order to get your message, product or service out in front of prospective eyes.
Think of it this way. If you only rely on paid advertising and/or SEO, you are leaving behind so many prospective sales. Therefore, you’ll want to utilize any means you can in order to promote yourself or your product. In addition, most people don’t buy after the first view of an ad. Using email marketing, you will be able to continually re-offer products or services they may have missed.
Most importantly, building an email list allows you to connect to your customers and visitors in ways you couldn’t previously do. This gives you a chance to build a relationship with your visitors. Having a solid relationship with your visitors is undoubtedly the most important aspect of your affiliate marketing or digital marketing business.
Email list building and email marketing is an essential tool, if not the most important, for affiliate marketing and making money online. If you don’t yet have an autoresponder service, you definitely need to get one. I want my visitors to be successful. If you are reading this, then that is you. Don’t leave your email marketing money on the table. The money is definitely in the list.
Want to learn the fastest way to being a millionaire online? Download this FREE Ebook that will set you up for success.
Want More Leads? Free Highly Recommended Training
Want to build your list even faster? If you are wanting more leads for your email marketing campaigns, I highly suggest this FREE Course. It’s a 5 day free training that can put you on the fast track for getting more leads in front of your products!
Trust when I say you won’t be disappointed. If you have any email marketing tips or experiences you want to share, please feel free to write in the comments below! I look forward to hearing your stories.